Saturday, October 29, 2005

Fish tragedy

I forgot to mention Braeden had his first experience with death this week. We were in his room Wednesday when he said "Mom look at my fish." One of his two little fish was belly up in the bottom of his tank. He immediately started to panick and cry and said "help him, help him." I told him that there wasn't anything we could do to help him and that he had died and gone to fish heaven. I couldn't believe how sad he was as he normally seems to forget they are in his room. He wanted to be held but couldn't hold still, I told him we'd clean his tank and we could either flush the fish to send him out to the ocean (his initial fear would be that a shark would eat it) or bury him (I was thinking squirrels might dig it up). After I calmed him down and promised to clean out the tank, we had a little goodbye ceremony in the bathroom. He said some kind words (bye fishy we'll miss you, you were a good fish) and he seemed to be less sad. A few minutes later and again a few hours later he said "I think Jesus is taking care of my fish now." Now we just hope the other fish stays healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment